Funny story.....
So I had to do something fun for Lydia's cake since Anaiah got her castle cake. After thinking lots about it and looking at different ideas I decided to do a garden theme. I thought a caterpillar would make for a cute cake. So I got to work, weeks ahead of time of course, baking and freezing the cakes so that I would not be left with it all at the last minute. I thought a carrot cake would be yummy for a change so I started baking lots and lots of carrot cakes. I knew that peeling the carrots was the standard way to go, but I was excited to save time with my mom's new salad shooter and skip that part. Besides, all the nutrients are in the peel right?(yes,I washed them very well :) I bought a special circular pan to make the parts of the caterpillar's body. It was trouble from the get-go. I could not get the cakes to bake right in those darn pans. The first few spilled over into the oven and I had to toss them. I had to bake them way longer than the directions said but after a few tries(and lots of wasted cake) I got the hang of it. This threw off my "ahead of schedule plan" of course, along with a week of the stomach flu followed by a week of the girls sick with croup. By the time her party arrived I was amazed that all the cakes had gotten made at all. So the night before the party I took all of the cakes out of the freezer and started to decorate them. As I was trimming the edge of one, I noticed a few green specks on it. I decided to cut into it and to my shock the entire middle was green!!! It looked awful! So I started cutting into the others only to find the same problem, some worse than others. I kept telling myself that there was no way they could be moldy since they had all been cooled and frozen, but it sure looked like mold to me. I called David up to look and he could not explain it either, but he agreed with me that they looked very unappealing. I had a decision to make. Serving guests moldy cake was out of the question so there was only one thing to do. Start over and make new cakes! I had only enough ingredients left to make smaller cakes but I figured it would do. The caterpillar ended up half the size as my original plan, but I still pulled it together.. at the last minute. I realized after looking at the pictures that I was so worried about it still being green inside that I forgot to add her cute little gumdrop feet :(
Anyways, I saved some of the moldy cake to show my friends because it still did not make sense to me and I was determined to solve the mystery. The general consenses was that there was no way it could be mold. And after googling " green carrot cake" the mystery was solved. Carrot PEEL turns green when frozen....oh. SO if any of you out there plan to freeze carrot cake, or carrot anything for that matter, just peel the carrots! But if you don't and everything turns green it is perfectly fine to eat :) Oh well, even if it was fine to eat serving green cakes to guests probably would not have gone over well! Lesson learned!!!
Sunday, January 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dez!
This story made my day! I have had sooo many recipe disasters---though none of them have ever cost me so much agony. It's so great that you were able to get everything ready. You sound like a super mom for sure!
I love your bog---thank you so much for keeping Franklin and I informed. Your daughters are getting more adorable every day (which I didn't think could be possible since they started out the most beautiful little girls I've ever seen!)
Things are good--- take care! Hope:)
Post a Comment